“Mom, why do you only take pictures of buildings?”“Because they’re beautiful.”
“Why?”
“Because they never age. They’re timeless.”
“What’s your favorite building?”
“I don’t know. I’m particularly fond of Lloyd’s of London.”
“Why?”
“Because it’s built inside out!”
“Why?”
“Because the architect wanted to be creative and different.”
“Why?”
There was a pause, and then she smiled softly.
“Because why would anyone want to be the same?”
“If heaven were a building, would it be Lloyd’s of London?”
“I don’t know. Maybe. I’m sure some people would think so.”
“And you?”
“I think heaven would be a lot like St. Peter’s Cathedral.”
“Oh.”
“What’s wrong with that?”
“You chose a church.”
“What’s wrong with choosing a church?”
“Churches aren’t supposed to BE heaven. They’re supposed to make you want to GO to heaven.”
“So what building would you choose, then?”
“That’s a silly question.”
“Why?”
“Because heaven wouldn’t be a building.” She paused before she added, “But if it were, I would hope that it would be a lighthouse so I can always see the water.”
At this, Elizabeth Waterhouse began to cry, and Cassandra didn’t understand why.
S.S. Howard
No comments:
Post a Comment