28 January 2007

2001: a space odyssey

After many (many years) of refusing to see 2001: A Space Odyssey, solely because of my dad's persistance and my sick sense of humor, I finally watched it... and loved it. A lot more than I thought I would, actually -- but don't tell my father. I couldn't bare to hear the "I was right yet AGAIN, maybe you should listen to me more often" speech again. (Because he really is right every time. Prolonging expectations are just more entertaining for me.)

Kubrick: How could we possibly appreciate the Mona Lisa if Leonardo had written at the bottom of the canvas: "The lady is smiling because she is hiding a secret from her lover." This would shackle the viewer to reality, and I don't want this to happen to 2001.

The following fan letters come from the book The Making of Kubrick's 2001, edited by Jerome Agel. It has a 96-page photo insert and some of the mosts interesting insights into the film.

A disgruntled moviegoer: I am enclosing my four ticket stubs. I would like my money returned, if for no other reason than as an apology for boring the life out of my family and myself for three hours. When will you learn what the public, that you are always screaming about, has known for years. You cannot cover up mediocrity with obscurity. P.S. The tickets were $2.50 each.

A young fan: It was, in short, the best movie I have ever seen. Even though I am considered bright, I could not understand the last part of the movie. Someday when I am older, I hope to get involved in the field of astronautics. Now, I am 13. In 2001, I will be 46 years old. For the time being, could you send me something explaining the end of the movie! P.S. I did not mean to brag about being bright in the second sentence.

Another fan: I know that we are capable of conceiving beyond our world. Maybe we are afraid to and need the security of making everything relate to our small world and small capabilities. I think this shows in our inventions throughout history; for instance, to invent the calendar and the clock when there is no time. Your movie has given me many moments which I seek out in my life -- moments of feeling alive. After you movie, one thought kept coming back into my mind. It is one that I have had many times but which seemed more clear than ever now; how many times must I be born to realize what I am?

(My favorite.)
Best fan ever: I would not be at all afraid to state that with 2001 you may have quite possibly saved any number of spiritual and physical lives. For it is wthin the power of a film such as yours to give people a reason to go on living -- to give them the courage to go on living. For 2001 implies much more than just an artistic revelation. On a philosophical level, it implies that if man is capable of this, he is capable of anything -- anything rational and heroic and florious and good. Think of how many men and women might very possibly thrust off the shackles of monotonous stagnation of their day-to-day existence -- how many might strive to reach goals they thought impossible before -- how many might find elation and pleasure hitherto denied them by their own lack of courage. How can man now be content to consider the trivial and mundane, when you have shown a world full of stars, a world beyond the infinite?

(Kubrick responded: Your letter was overwhelming. What can I say in reply?)

No comments: