11 February 2007

closer

Dan: I fell in love.
Alice: Oh, as if you had no choice? There's a moment, there's always a moment, "I can do this, I can give into this, or I can resist it", and I don't know when your moment was, but I bet you there was one.

Dan: I apologize. If you love her you'll let her go so she can be happy.
Larry: She doesn't want to be happy.
Dan: Everybody wants to be happy.
Larry: Depressives don't. They want to be unhappy to confirm they're depressed. If they were happy they couldn't be depressed anymore. They'd have to go out into the world and live. Which can be depressing.

Alice: Where is this love? I can't see it, I can't touch it. I can't feel it. I can hear it. I can hear some words, but I can't do anything with your easy words.

Dan: And you left him, just like that?
Alice: It's the only way to leave. "I don't love you anymore. Goodbye."
Dan: Supposing you do still love them?
Alice: You don't leave.
Dan: You've never left someone you still love?
Alice: Nope.

Larry: [at a photography exhibit] What do you think?
Alice: It's a lie. It's a bunch of sad strangers photographed beautifully, and... all the glittering assholes who appreciate art say it's beautiful 'cause that's what they wanna see. But the people in the photos are sad, and alone... But the pictures make the world seem beautiful, so... the exhibition is reassuring which makes it a lie, and everyone loves a big fat lie.

Anna: Love bores you.
Dan: No, it disappoints me.

From the brilliant film Closer, directed by Mike Nichols and written (for both stage and screen) by Patrick Marber. This was my favorite film of 2004, and Clive Owen and Natalie Portman's performances are worth the price of gold.

1 comment:

Samir said...

it's patrick marber.

i know, i'm being petty, but i love the guy.

you wouldn't guess it from closer, but he's a really funny comic actor.

observe!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Bq_dkPkQUU