23 April 2008

daisy, daisy


HAL: Dave, stop. Stop will you? Stop Dave. Will you stop, Dave? Stop, Dave. I'm afraid. I'm afraid, Dave. Dave, my mind is going, I can feel it. Good afternoon gentlemen, I am a HAL9000 computer. I became operational at the HAL plant in Urbana, Illinois, on the twelfth of January 1992, my instructor was mister Langley, and he taught me to sing a song. If you'd like to hear it, I can sing it for you.
Bowman: Yes, I'd like to hear it, Hal. Sing it for me.
HAL: It's called 'Daisy.' Daisy, Daisy, give me your answer do. I'm half crazy, all for the love of you. It won't be a stylish marriage, I can't afford a carriage, but you'll look sweet upon the seat, of a bicycle built for two.

This scene from 2001: A Space Odyssey breaks my heart.

No comments: