21 April 2008

i'm sorry, dave


Bowman: Hello, Hal, do you read me? Hello, Hal, do you read me? Do you read me Hal?'
HAL: Affirmative Dave, I read you.
Bowman: Open the pod bay doors Hal.
HAL: I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that.
Bowman: What's the problem?
HAL: I think you know what the problem is, just as well as I do.
Bowman: What are you talking about Hal?
HAL: This mission is too important for me to allow you to jeopardize it.
Bowman: I don't know what you're talking about Hal.
HAL: I know that you and Frank were planning to disconnect me, and I'm afraid that's something I cannot allow to happen.'
Bowman: Where the hell d'you get that idea Hal?
HAL: Dave, although you took very thorough precautions in the pod, against my hearing you, I could see your lips move.
Bowman: Alright Hal, I'll go in through the emergency airlock.
HAL: Without your space helmet Dave, you're going to find that rather difficult.
Bowman: Hal, I won't argue with you any more, open the doors.
HAL: Dave, this conversation can serve no purpose anymore, goodbye.

The creepiest scene from 2001: A Spacey Odyssey.
Kubrick was a genius.

No comments: