01 May 2007

predatory wasp of the palisades

Thinking outrageously I write in cursive.
I hide in my bed with the lights on the floor.
Wearing three layers of coats and leg warmers,
I see my own breath on the face of the door

Oh, I am not quite sleeping...
Oh, I am fast in bed...
There on the wall in the bedroom creeping,
I see a wasp with her wings outstretched.

North of Savanna we swim in the palisades.
I come out wearing my brother's red hat.
There on his shoulder, my best friend is bit seven times.
He runs washing his face in his hands.

Oh, how I meant to tease him...
Oh, how I meant no harm...
Touching his back with my hand I kiss him,
I see the wasp on the length of my arm.

From Sufjan Steven's beautiful song,
The Predatory Wasp of the Palisades is Out to Get Us!

No comments: